There are some people who just always seem to get what they want. While you struggle and never seem to catch a break, these people seem to float through life with ease and grace.
The secret of these people is not luck, but the effective habit of setting goals. Think about it, if you don’t know what you want, how are you going to get it?
There are 7 powerful techniques to effective goal setting:
1. Know what you want- What comes to mind for most of us is ” The biggest house in the neighborhood and a 6 figure income”. But have you even stopped to think about WHY you want that? What makes YOU happy and fulfilled. Its important to do this step seriously. Use effective methods like meditation or the Silva Method to go into the depths of your mind.
2. Goal Setting Principles – Its very easy and tempting to write down something vague like “be happy”. But how do you measure and strive towards this goal? Its important to write down specific goals. Take a vague goal like “Be happy” and specify it to “Being happy in my job”. Have a job I love to do”.
3. Aim High – Its important to set difficult, but realistic goals. If you set easy goals, you miss out the sense of accomplishment you get when you achieve them. If the bar is set too high, you are setting yourself to feel like a failure when you do not reach it. Remain realistic but optimistic when thinking about your life goals.
4. Think Long term and Short Term- Many successful people who set goals, set 1 year, 5 year and 10 year goals. When a short term goal is achieved you get this feeling of euphoria, knowing you are on the right track. You will know what to work towards when you set long term goals.
5. Write it down – By writing down you goals, they become real. It is now set on paper what you want to achieve. When you write down your goals, you will find that you will surpass them. It will give you a sense of accomplishment to go back to a list of goals to find that you have achieved or surpassed them.
6. Visualize – Once you know what you want, you have to see yourself there. Its important to see yourself achieving your goal, feeling the how it makes you feel when you do. Do you feel happy? Successful? Free? Make a vision board with pictures of your life goals and power words of how you want to feel. Meditate daily on your goals. If you find this hard at first, there are many great programs out there to help you use the power of your mind, like the Silva Method, simple mantra meditation or concept meditation.
7.Celebrate Your Successes – Quick, name your 3 greatest successes in your life? Now name what you did to celebrate those success? Nothing? Did it take away from your accomplishment? When you celebrate achieving goals, you acknowledge success in your life.
When you develop these 7 highly effective habits of goal setting, you will soon find more clarity and purpose in your life. Armed with these tools, you are ready to take on your life.